This is the Roll
Cackle TV have teamed up with Cheri Perry & Turner Wilson to make two instructional rolling DVD's.
The first DVD, "This is the Roll" is aimed at anyone trying to learn their first roll, people wanting to get a bombproof roll and those wanting to learn forward finishing rolls.
The DVD contains step-by-step instruction on how to do 3 different rolls - the standard Greenland roll, the reverse sweep roll and the storm roll. Cheri & Turner believe these 3 rolls on both sides will allow paddlers to recover from a capsize in real conditions no matter how you are knocked over.
The standard Greenland roll is a backdeck or layback roll and most people find this the easiest to learn. In the reverse sweep, your body and paddle starts at the back or the kayak and finishes forward. This is a great roll if you are capsized towards the back of your kayak, and it teaches you to recover facing forwards. The storm roll starts and finishes over the front deck and is Cheri & Turner's rough water roll of choice. It's a quick, powerful roll where the paddler finishes in a position where you can see what is happening and are ready to react to whatever comes next.
All 3 rolls use the body's natural ability to float and minimize the force required to roll up. The rolls require technique, rather than power.
- Clear demonstrations of the standard roll, the reverse sweep & the storm roll from multiple angles, including beautiful underwater footage.
- Fundamentals - a chapter looking at key techniques & theory which will help you when you roll.
- Cheri & Turner talk you through learning progressions that they've developed over years of teaching.
- Cheri & Turner teaching students the rolls.
- Troubleshooting section identifying common mistakes and showing how to correct them.
- Adapting your kayak and equipment for rolling.
- The paddle strokes needed to roll (pry, sweep & scull).
- Stretching for rolling and paddling.
- Balance Brace, Greenlandic balance brace & sculling for support.
- Instruction and demonstrations with greenland paddles and Euroblades.
Cheri & Turner prefer to use a Greenland blade when they paddle and roll but all the rolls are demonstrated with a traditional greenland paddle ('a stick') and with a euroblade (or 'spoon' as Turner affectionately calls them). If an adaptation is needed for the euroblade then we talk you through it.
Cheri & Turner travel the world teaching rolling and Greenland kayaking skills and both have competed in Greenland at their National Kayak Championships. They are widely known for their excellent teaching style, and their unique progressions that they have developed over years of teaching.