Cape Scott, the rugged North West tip of Vancouver island, is a characterised by rocky promontories, spectacular remote beaches and ocean swell. We will journey through this roadless stretch of wilderness from Port Hardy to Coal Harbour enjoying white sandy beaches, salt marshes and jagged headlands. The area is home to black bears, wolves and eagles while humpback, grey and orca whales feed in the rich waters. The exposed NW tip is a meeting place of currents making rounding the Cape a challenge that’s on many kayakers bucket list. Our experienced guides will chose a good weather window for this crux. This is an expedition that is designed for the intermediate to advanced paddler that wishes to explore remote locations while receiving quality instruction and feedback along the way. You will push your skills while exploring surf beaches and the rocky points of this beautiful ocean playground. Rentals are available at https://skils.ca/rentals/.
Minimum Skill LevelYou like to eat? Check out our food photo gallery
- Interested candidates should have extensive (over 50 days) previous sea kayak experience and have experience in dynamic waters and surf.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Considerable personal paddling experience in light and moderate sea conditions or higher including overnights.
- You must be able to paddle at a speed of 3 knots for up to 6 hours per day. If you can not maintain this speed for up to 6 hours this program is not for you.
- Please note that this program is intense as well as mentally and physically demanding. If you are unsure of your ability to take this program, please call us to discuss your concerns prior to registering.
- Mandatory COVID vaccination
July 21-July 31, 2022 (11 days)
North Coast of Vancouver Island
We love custom trips!
Other dates are available for custom or private trips. Contact us for more info.
I could not rate the quality of instruction/leadership more highly.
Booking and Payment Notes
If you would prefer to pay a deposit in order to secure your spot, a deposit of $1000 is required in order to register. The balance of your payment is due at least 60 days before the start of the program. Payment can be made by Interac E-Transfer, cheque, money order, or cash. You can also pay the full amount with a credit card using the online registration system on our website.
If you do not meet the prerequisites listed above, and are still interested in this challenging program, we may be able to provide you with some training beforehand. We will be camping for an extended period of time which means this course is intense as well as mentally and physically demanding.