This is an expedition style program that is designed for the intermediate to advanced paddler who wishes to explore very remote wild locations while receiving quality instruction and feedback along the way. The Great Bear Rainforest is the largest intact temperate rainforest in the world. You will be paddling and camping amongst giant sitka spruce trees, 1000 year old red cedars and western hemlocks.
It’s the only place in the world where you can see the Kermode (Spirit) Bear, a subspecies of black bear with white fur. The waters teem with whales, otters, dolphins and sea lions while wolves, black bears, Kermode bears, grizzly bears and eagles roam in the lush forests. This beautifully raw, rugged coast offers jaw dropping scenery and a rich First Nations culture. The only access along much of our route is by float plane or boat so you’ll experience solitude and truly get off the beaten track. We plan to explore some of the remotest and most beautiful offshore islands such as the Goose Island Group. We will not see much human presence along our journey for a pure wilderness experience.
Traveling through the remote and wild Great Bear Rainforest you will push your skills while exploring the surf beaches and rocky points of this beautiful ocean playground. On day 1 of the expedition, you will start from Port Hardy where you will take the ferry to Bella Bella. From Bella Bella you will be paddling to Port Hardy. This adventure is 19 days long.
- Interested candidates should have extensive (over 50 days) previous sea kayak experience and have experience in dynamic waters.
- Some expedition experience is required
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be able to paddle at a speed of 3 knots for up to 6 hours per day. If you can not maintain this speed for up to 6 hours this program is not for you.
- Considerable personal paddling experience in light and moderate sea conditions or higher including overnights.
- Please note that this course is very intense as well as mentally and physically demanding. If you are unsure of your ability to take this course, please call us to discuss your concerns prior to registering.
If you do not meet these prerequisites, and are still interested in this challenging program, we may be able to provide you with some training beforehand. We will be camping for an extended period of time which means this course is very intense as well as mentally and physically demanding.
A deposit of $1000 is required at the time of registration in order to secure your spot. The balance of your payment is due at least 30 days before the start of the program. Payment can be made by credit card, Interact E-Transfer, cheque, money order, or cash. You can also pay the full amount with a credit card using the online registration system on our website.
|Trip Dates||Location||Price||Join Us!|
|July 9-27, 2018 (19 days)||Bella Bella to Port Hardy||CDN $3999|